Policy-Driven Deception January 31, 2010 Posted by John at 5:06 PM
The Science & Public Policy Institute has published an important paper on the manipulations to
which surface temperature records have been subjected in order to promote the global warming
dogma. It's called Surface Temperature Records: Policy Driven Deception? You should
download and read it all; this is the executive summary:
1. Instrumental temperature data for the pre-satellite era (1850-1980) have been so widely,
systematically, and unidirectionally tampered with that it cannot be credibly asserted there has
been any significant "global warming" in the 20th century.
2. All terrestrial surface-temperature databases exhibit very serious problems that render them
useless for determining accurate long-term temperature trends.
3. All of the problems have skewed the data so as greatly to overstate observed warming both
regionally and globally.
4. Global terrestrial temperature data are gravely compromised because more than
three-quarters of the 6,000 stations that once existed are no longer reporting.
5. There has been a severe bias towards removing higher-altitude, higher-latitude, and rural
stations, leading to a further serious overstatement of warming.
6. Contamination by urbanization, changes in land use, improper siting, and
inadequately-calibrated instrument upgrades further overstates warming.
7. Numerous peer-reviewed papers in recent years have shown the overstatement of observed
longer term warming is 30-50% from heat-island contamination alone.
8. Cherry-picking of observing sites combined with interpolation to vacant data grids may
make heat-island bias greater than 50% of 20th-century warming.
9. In the oceans, data are missing and uncertainties are substantial. Comprehensive coverage
has only been available since 2003, and shows no warming.
10. Satellite temperature monitoring has provided an alternative to terrestrial stations in
compiling the global lower-troposphere temperature record. Their findings are increasingly
diverging from the station-based constructions in a manner consistent with evidence of a warm
bias in the surface temperature record.
11. NOAA and NASA, along with CRU, were the driving forces behind the systematic hyping
of 20th-century "global warming".
12. Changes have been made to alter the historical record to mask cyclical changes that could
be readily explained by natural factors like multidecadal ocean and solar changes.
13. Global terrestrial data bases are seriously flawed and can no longer be trusted to assess
climate trends or VALIDATE model forecasts.
14. An inclusive external assessment is essential of the surface temperature record of CRU,
GISS and NCDC "chaired and paneled by mutually agreed to climate scientists who do not have
a vested interest in the outcome of the evaluations."
15. Reliance on the global data by both the UNIPCC and the US GCRP/CCSP also requires a
full investigation and audit.
Powerline’s at: http://www.powerlineblog.com/
Full study is at: http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/or...deception.html